Season Ended, But Players Look With Hope to the Future

Brigette Wixted, Writer

On Friday, November 5, 2021, the Central Regional Varsity Football Team traveled to Pennsauken High School in the afternoon to compete in a game as part of the 2021 New Jersey High School Playoff Brackets: NJSIAA – South Group IV tournament.  The energy radiating off of the players, the coaches, the cheerleaders, the students, and the parents were overpowering and the night was full of endless possibilities.  However, in a crushing blow, the Central Regional Varsity Football Team lost the playoff game with the final score, 21-56. 

At 4:00 p.m., both of the football teams were on the field and the coin was being flipped determining who got possession of the football first.  The game commenced with the students and cheerleaders cheering loudly and being rowdy on both sides.  After a scoreless first quarter, Central Regional trailed behind Pennsuaken 7-27 at halftime. 

“Chase Gumbrecht with a 65 yard touchdown run as Central trails Pennsuaken 34-14 in the 3rd quarter,” said  CR_athletics on Twitter.  After the third quarter, there was a very slim possibility that Central would win and the morale was low both on the field and in the stands. 

During the 4th quarter, running back Chase Gumbrecht scored on a touchdown run of 6 yards to bring the score to 21-42.  This would be the final touchdown scored in the season. 

Pennsuaken’s offensive barrage led them to victory. 

Once the 4th quarter ended, everyone from Central went home feeling dejected and sad that Central lost the playoffs.  I caught up with outside linebacker Lincoln Haughton after the game to get an insight on his feelings about losing the playoffs.  “I can’t explain the feeling, but we really tried our best against the top five teams in the state.” 

Nose Guard and D-end Cosmo Zaccaro  said this about his goals and dreams for the next season:  “To make it all the way to states and win and to be one of the best teams to ever come through Central offensively and defensively and I strongly believe we will be.”