Key Club: How Central Makes A Difference

Aya Abdo, Writer

Key Club International, founded in 1925, is a student-led organization whose goal is to encourage leadership through serving others. It is the oldest service program for high school students. At Central Regional High School, the Key Club is advised by Mrs. Tier, and members develop initiative and leadership skills by helping their schools and communities. There are four core values of Key Club: leadership, character building, caring, and inclusiveness. There are also six leadership skills: passion, trustworthiness, talking less and listening more, motivation, flexibility, and setting an example.

Each leadership skill reflects the character that a Key Club member must have in order to effectively help others. Passion is essential, for truly caring about something and making it your priority is a quality that many can see and admire. With trustworthiness, your team must know that you are able to be depended on and that you hold the best interest of the group. By talking less and listening more, you can efficiently understand underlying issues that would otherwise remain uncovered. When morale is low, it is essential to keep people (including yourself) moving despite the circumstances, hence the importance of motivation. Flexibility deals with the need to be open-minded, and accepting when you may need to take a different path than intended. Lastly, setting an example means that if you expect guidelines to be followed, you must be the one that paves the way. 

There are many reasons why students should join Key Club: it looks good on resumes, you will make kind-hearted friends, and most importantly, you are helping others. The ability for the members to take time out of their schedules to help other people shows their caring and selfless nature. Without them, Key Club would not even exist or be able to function. It is the dedication of the members that allows us to successfully give back to our communities and fundraise for charities. This is why effective membership recruitment is so important! If new members do not join, the membership pyramid and Key Club itself would fall apart. Who wouldn’t want to be a part of a club whose main goal is to help while having fun? It’s a win-win situation. If you are eager to help out the community, you should strongly consider joining the Key Club today!