Winter Guard Looks Ahead to Next Year

Marcella Raiola, Writer

In years past,  Central Regional was once State Champions for Indoor Winterguard but from 1989 to now, the sport declined in popularity. But now it’s back!

Of course, there was and still is a Color Guard in conjunction with the Central Regional Marching Band, but unfortunately, the popularity of indoor guard dwindled. However, with the inspiration and devotion of the Marching Band Color Guard, their desire to continue spinning their flags even during the offseason spurred into the Winter Guard Competition of the 2018-2019 school year.

Members, Jacob Pray, Sarah Coe, Jenna, Audrey Hellinger, Hannah Molitor, Adelyn, and Austin have worked extremely hard to put together this well-knitted family of spinners. With their instructor, Michelle Sexton, the team scored 2nd Place in their first competition of the season, performing to the song “Human,” by Christina Perri. Ms. Sexton would schedule practices, usually in the evening to coach experienced guard members and new members into the well-formed team that works together to put on their show.

Sarah Coe, a sophomore who helped push for this new club stated, “Guard has been so great for me and I think it’s helped everyone else too. The people alone are talented but it is when we all finish a show we feel a sense of accomplishment.” When they performed for the first time at Central Regional, the crowd that came to support them was huge. Many alumni came back who were once a part of the Winter Guard State Champions. They are eager to see next year’s up-coming adventure and encourage all those who may want to try it to do so.

Everyone is welcome to the new Winter Guard family. Look for them next year!