Boys’ Volleyball in Full Swing

Bryan Carlson, Writer

Believe it or not, spring sports are already upon us at Central Regional High School. Practices for all spring sports commenced a month ago, including boys’ volleyball. The boys’ volleyball team is led by Varsity Head Coach Mr Mangold, JV Head Coach Mr. Torsiello, and Freshman Head Coach Mr. Ertle.

Leading the Golden Eagle’s Varsity squad are seniors Dan Switzer, Ocious Wagner, Zach Perfetto, Greg Verderosa, Justin Iozzi, Oluwapelumi Ogunyinka, Matt Posemato, and junior Justin Wright. The Eagles are lucky to have seven seniors out on the court represent, as the team lost several last year. When this class of seniors were juniors last year, they all received valuable varsity playing time, which will prove to be beneficial as the season goes on. The Golden Eagles reached the second round of states last year, and will continue to look to grow on that success this season. A key to volleyball success? Knowing how to play and react to anything that comes at you on the court.

“In volleyball you need to know how to do everything. Be able to pass, serve, hit, and set, are all key components to volleyball…” said by Coach Mangold after practice. And once players are efficient in all of those categories, that is when the varsity level will open its doors, and players will be able to show their worth on the varsity side.

Chandler Perfetto, a junior who is a swing player, who starts and plays a majority of JV, but sometimes gets in to play varsity, says that he has high expectations for himself and his teammates. “We have a tremendous amount of great hitters on the squad…” he said, “… but the main thing is we have to get those hitters the ball. In order for that to happen, we need a good pass to the setter off the serve. If we get the setter the ball, without having him to move and make an effort for it, we will get a beautiful set to the hitter, who will slam it down with ease.”

Coach Torsiello notes that he is very proud of the progression of his players through just the first few weeks of the season. “It’s amazing how quickly these guys have progressed,” he says, “at the first few practices everyone was all over the place, not really knowing what or how to do certain things. The players are asked to do a lot, including all the basics, for a new player are not as simple as it seems. Also, learning the 5-1 formation can be extremely challenging, but everyone has done and is continuing to do a tremendous job, and we are all eager for the first game to show A-South what we are made of.” In the last four seasons, the JV side has only lost nine games. “We are the best JV squad in the Shore,” is something that coach Torsiello says to his players often, to remind them that they have consistently been at the top, and his boys can do anything if they put their minds and hard work to it.

The Golden Eagles’ first game is Monday, April 1st at home against Red Bank Catholic. Both JV and Varsity levels look to start the season 1-0, and with their determination and skill, there is no doubt that they will be able to come out on top. Be sure to catch the Golden Eagles Volleyball team in action this spring!