The Senior: Shannon O’Connell

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Senior: Shannon O’Connell

October Senior of the Month, Shannon OConnell

Janet Bell

Janet Bell

Janet Bell

Joe Sweeney, Writer

Shannon O’Connell is a Senior at Central Regional High School. She was awarded Senior of the Month for her outstanding academics and contributions to Central Regional. During her time at CRHS, Shannon has participated in many extracurricular activities such as the Drama Club, Chorus, Class Council, many National Honor Societies, Student Congress, and the list continues on and on. When asked about some tips for high school Shannon said, “You should get involved in high school and make sure you do all your work.”

I got the chance to have a sit down talk with Shannon and was able to talk to her about being chosen as Senior of the Month. She exclaimed that “It is an honor that shows me all my hard work is noticed and pays up. I am very appreciative to have been chosen for Senior of the Month.”

During the conversation we got to talking about colleges and some advice she had for when applying to them. Shannon has applied to Seton Hall University, Villanova University, Rutgers University, and the University of Pennsylvania, and so far she has been accepted into Seton Hall. One of main goals Shannon hopes to achieve is “Being able to grow as an individual and live a successful life.” While at college Shannon wants to spend her time becoming a nurse, which would pair perfectly with her kind personality and welcoming smile.

One of the last things I got to discuss with Shannon was some her fears she has about going into college. Just like to anybody else, debt is a scary word especially for most students going off to college. “The financial aspect of college scares me. I don’t want to leave college with a large amount of debt.” So keep up the hard work Shannon and I am sure you will get that debt paid off in no time. Shannon is also worried about the people she will meet, stating that she is hoping to “Find the right group of friends who will make your experience a good one. I hope I’ll find a group to be there for me as I will be there for them, amd who will help me if I need it.” Knowing Shannon for a couple years I am more than positive she will find the right group of friends who will bring happiness and everlasting memories while at college.

Not only was I able to sit down and talk to Shannon, but I also managed to talk to one of her former teachers. Mrs. Wilfrid teaches sophomore English here at Central Regional and is a former teacher of Shannon. Mrs. Wilfrid had said nothing but kind words about the student, claiming that “Shannon is an extremely intelligent girl who always had her work done ahead of time and never once procrastinated on an assignment. She was always willing to help others around her when they needed it. Shannon is a very well rounded student and was always seen participating in school activities.”

I have only known Shannon for a couple of years and those couple of years she has always been extremely nice to not just me but to everyone she has ever met. She is an extremely talented girl and always puts her best foot forward in everything she does, and I wish her the best of luck at college and in the future.

Shannon is a prime example of a good student who shows excellent leadership qualities here at Central Regional. She is a great role model that many students should aspire to be. We wish you the best of luck at college and may you achieve your goals through all the hard work and success. Keep up the outstanding work and live your best life.