Boys’ Basketball Had Notable Moments

Morgan Sorrentino, Writer

As the 2021-2022 Boys Varsity Basketball season came to a remarkable end, looking back we have seen some jaw dropping plays. With the boys undefeated at home and an 11-5 record Mike Clemente, Central Regional Alumni and Varsity Basketball Coach, has pushed the team to work hard and get better everyday. Clemente has led the boys to a 7+ winning streak during the season and onto the boys basketball top 12 for the Shore conference. Clemente is an all around hard-working coach who, seen by all, puts a plentiful amount of his effort into the team. The boys also had some unbelievable moments this season. Senior Justin Sorano broke 1,000 points at Donovan Catholic this season, to put his name on the banner in the high school gym, and the team also broke Toms River North’s boys’ 74 game winning streak. 

Aside from all of the amazing moments this season, 3 out of 5 of Central’s starting 5 will be graduating at the end of the year. Senior Justin Sorano led the team with crazy dunks from all over, Anthony Musso led with power and strength, and Gianni Smith fought hard all season. I interviewed the seniors to ask “How do you think your senior season is going?” Anthony Musso says “I think my senior season has been a year to remember so far. The team is great to be around, it’s like a second family that’s for sure and that’s the fun part about this year, that I didn’t really feel my previous years, starting off hot was definitely a great feeling as well. I’m glad we just got to get better every day and finish as a strong program and family.” I couldn’t have described it any better. Justin Sorano adds “ I think this year is going pretty good. We started off rocky but we picked it up and went on a seven-game win streak. This should be a big year for us in my opinion.” And it most definitely has been. Gianni Smith ends with “My senior year is going good right now and I am enjoying it. In the past years I’ve made some really great memories and really getting to know the guys made basketball enjoyable for me.” Not only have the seniors had an exceptional season but players like Brayden Lowden (Sophomore), John Truhan(Junior), Miles Chevalier(Sophomore), and Jaycen Santucci (Freshman) also made an impact this season. Starting with John Truhan who made 4 three-pointers in a row, against Barnegat at home the other day, and running a whopping 107 points this season only. Lowden and Chevalier, both sophomores, have had great seasons leading the team with 203 points this season. Lastly, incoming star player freshman Jay Santucci started a handful of varsity games so far this season, entering with height and strength to separate him from the rest of his age group. 

Ending off this season like no other, Central Regional has most definitely showed off their skills. Coach Clemente hopes “The team wins A-south and to make a run in both the Shore conference and state tournaments,” and we all hope to see that come true.