Westhoven Sisters Break Swim Records

Kelsey DiMichele, Writer

As Central Regional’s winter sports progressed through their seasons, there have been so newcomers climbing the ranks to make history. Quite a few athletes broke records in the season so far. Two athletes that broke records at the Ocean County Swim Tournament were Avery Westhoven and Molly Westhoven. These young ladies have been swimming for Coach Stout throughout most of their competitive swimming career. 

Avery Westhoven, a senior, has been swimming from the age of seven at the competitive level. As she advances into high school she competes in all of the breaststroke events (the 100 and 200 meters) and the 50 meter and 100 meter butterfly stroke. Avery broke the two school records in a singular tournament. Avery broke the 100 meter butterfly stroke record with a time of 1:03. Avery broke a secondary record that same day in the 100 meter breaststroke with an outstanding time of 1:08. About her swimming Avery stated, “my main source of motivation comes from my coaches and my friends that I swim with; they are really some of the best people I have met in my life.” Avery has been working at her goals all season. 

As for another record breaker, Molly Westhoven, a junior, broke the 200 Individual Medley record with a time of just 2:14 at the Ocean County Tournament. Molly tends to be an athlete that can swim in several different events, but typically swims in the 200 IM and the 100 meter breaststroke.  Molly talked about the impact Coach Stout has made on her stating, “she is always pushing me to be a better person and swimmer because she knows sometimes I need the extra push and she is always there to give it and I am forever grateful for that.”