Central Wrestling: Still Anything But Typical

Caden Barker, Writer

The Central Regional Wrestling has been “… Anything but Typical” for decades now. This season especially has lived up to its mantra; packed full of surprise upsets, an undefeated individual season, recurring injuries and COVID exposure, extreme weight cuts, and walk-off victories. 

The season started at Donovan Catholic High School, where CR secured a commanding victory, 45-28. Pins were made by two first year wrestlers- Odunayomi Femi-oke and John Eisenhower -both of whom have established themselves as valuable members of the team, and are reliable in a pinch. The team continued to win two of their next three that weekend.

Tough matches came after; Southern Regional, Lacey, and Jackson Memorial. The team fought hard, but there was very little light in this dark stretch. Against Southern, the team’s only win came from Cosmo Zaccaro, with a major decision (10-1). The performance was slightly better against Lacey, with four total wins, all by fall. Jake Laskowski in the first period, Jack Condello in the third period, Cosmo Zaccaro in the second, and Logan Brennan in the second as well. Jackson Memorial was more of the same story; only three victories this time. Chris Siller won by decision (7-2), followed immediately by me (Caden Barker), with a pin in the first period, and, of course, Cosmo Zaccaro, with a pin in the second. 

The team came back into its own recently, breaking .500 at 4-3 since Walloping Shore Regional, 51-21. A close loss against Toms River East is further indication that the team had improved. The team bounced back after a tough loss against RBC, going 2-1 in the Pinelands Quad. CR Wrestling beat Pinelands 40-39 with a walk-off pin by Keith Swistock, deciding the win by criteria. Other wins were scored by Jack Condello by fall, Chris Siller and Caden Barker by forfeit, Cosmo Zaccaro by fall, Aiden O’Brien by fall, and Matt Denman by decision. Central Regional demolished Keansburg, 66-12. Wins were secured by Ayden Delany by forfeit, Jack Condello by decision (10-4), Evan Horgan by fall, Chris Siller by Fall, Caden Barker by fall, Cosmo Zaccaro by fall, Aiden O’Brien by decision (7-0), Matthew Denman by fall, Michael Hawkes by fall, Nick Condello and Keith Swistock by forfeit, and Ethan Vansplinter by fall. Victories of particular note were by Caden Barker and Cosmo Zaccaro, the former pinning 11-3 Keansburg Senior Captain in 41 seconds, and the latter securing his 20th victory in his undefeated season. 

CR grabbed its debatably biggest win; a 36-35 victory over Toms River North on their senior night. Matt Denman started the match off right with a win by decision (15-9). This was followed up immediately by a pin by Jake Laskowski in the first period. Then it was all TRN until Jack Condello won in an exciting match that went to overtime (9-7). Chris Siller also won in overtime shortly after (6-4). Nick Campanella, filling in for an injured Caden Barker at 190 pounds, wins by fall in the first period. Cosmo Zaccaro wins by forfeit, improving to 21-0. Logan Brennan wins easily by decision (8-1). The score now was 35-30, TRN. Aiden O’Brien, the last match, gets it done in the second period, to secure Central Regional the victory by one point. 

Interviews

Cheyenne Matthews (Fan)

Q: What is your favorite thing about the sport of wrestling?

A: There are cool moves in wrestling. Cradles are dope. 

Q: As an MMA athlete, do you think that wrestling is a good thing to get into before other grappling sports? 

A: Yes. It’s like the base of all MMA sports. If you learn the basics, everything else will be easier

Q: If you could change one thing about CR wrestling, what would it be?

A: The singlets. They’re so ugly. We need new singlets. 

Q: Is there hope for the future of Central Wrestling? Especially given how young the line-up is? 

A: Yes, I do think that they have a bright future. 

Olivia Sura (Manager)

Q: Are you pleased with how the team has performed so far? 

A: Yeah. Uhm. Compared to the other years, I feel like the underclassmen have really excelled and put in some hard work. The upperclassmen have been great role models, especially not getting in trouble outside of the school. 

Q: The team stands at 8-10. Do you think we finish the season over .500? 

A: I think it’s going to be really close.

Q: When I say Central Wrestling, what’s the first word that comes to mind?

A: Exciting. I like the beginning when everyone runs in for warmups. 

Logan Brennan (V. HWT), Ayden Delany (144), Cosmo Zaccaro (V. 215), Nate Davis (144)

Q: What’s the first word that comes to mind when you think about CR Wrestling?

Logan: [Coach] Brennan

Q: Are we happy with the team’s performance? 

Logan: No. We should be better. 

Ayden: We need to do better. 

Cosmo: We could do better. 

Q: What Should the team do to improve? 

Logan: Harder Practices

Ayden: Wrestle harder.

Cosmo: I’m going to take control of practice, make sure it’s run well.