The Curtain May be Closed, but the Stories Continue

Gianna Trematerra, Editor

For the past six years I’ve had the honor of being a part of the Central Regional Drama Department.  I entered the program when I was in seventh grade and I am leaving it as a senior.  A few weeks ago the curtain closed for my fellow seniors and I for the last time, but our stories aren’t over yet. 

The last play we put on was for our fall production, it was called Storytellers.  Typically the Drama Department puts on our fall production in November, but due to covid we had to push it back to April, after our spring production, which was Addams Family, and it was amazing if I do say so myself!  

I found the theme of Storytellers to be very fitting for my senior year.  There wasn’t a plot to the play, but each song told a story of it’s own.  I love those types of plays because each member of the cast gets to show off a bit of themselves and perform songs suited to their singing style.  The songs we performed told stories of happiness, struggle, finding the love within one another, and so many other wonderful messages.  I truly believe that this play was put together at a perfect time.  This year was a time of struggle for a lot of people and I hope that our play was able to show the audience that they can still find happiness even in dark times.

Each song was individually picked by our director Beth Moore.  She took so much time out of her days to meet with each person individually to help perfect their songs so that they would look and sound good while performing.  She’s been my director and chorus teacher for the last six years and I couldn’t have asked for a better person for the role.  She took me, a person who lacked confidence and didn’t believe in herself at all, and shaped me into the person I am today, somebody who was able to go out on stage and perform a solo number all by herself.  I couldn’t be more grateful, and it’s not only me she did that for, but everybody else as well.  This department is built on the foundation of love and trust she established, and it grows each year.  She made this more than a club for everybody, she also made it a home and safe haven.

Over the years I’ve made so many friends in the drama club, friends that I now consider my family.  We’ve all seen each other at our lowest and our highest, and have stayed by each other though it all.  I would trust these people with my life.  I have so many fond memories I could share, but that would make this article the length of a book and I don’t think I’m quite ready for that just yet.  

The curtain closed for us seniors for the last time on the Central Regional stage, but our stories will continue to go on into college or wherever else we decide to go.  The curtain closing doesn’t signify our end, it signifies our beginning, our journey into the real world.  

For the last night of the show all the seniors got to go around and talk in the cast circle we have before each performance and I want to share what I said because I thought it could apply to not just the drama seniors, but to all the seniors of Central Regional: For a lot of us this curtain is closing for the last time, but our stories are far from over.  And in many of the best stories the characters go their own ways on their own separate adventures, but they always find their way back to each other in the end, and I truly believe that applies to us.  

I want to thank the Central Regional Drama Department for everything they gave me, from friends to an opportunity to shine.  They will never truly know the impact they had on my life.  I am a stronger person because of this program and I have a place to always call home.

No matter what you were a part of in the school we each made connections along the way that will help us out in your journey in the real world.  The people we leave behind will tell our stories and talk about the legacy we left.  Each of our stories connects to one another, even if we don’t realize it.  I will end this article with a quote from one of my favorite authors, C.S. Lewis, because I think he sums up what I’m trying to say perfectly: “Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different”.  We started high school as little freshmen and now we are seniors.  During these years I never realized how much changed, but looking back now I see that I have grown into a whole different person, one I like way better, and I owe that to the drama club and my friends, and all my teachers.  So thank you all for making my high school experience so amazing and memorable!